I've spent the majority of the month working on all the things I'm not supposed to be working on right now... I'm not too mad at myself though - it's resulted in a few new dolls that are currently at different stages in the 'work in progress-process' which I'm excited about, and life is too short to not allow yourself to sometimes play around with projects that weren't necessarily part of your schedule.

Because I've been working on more dolls, It's resulted in me re-organizing some of the tools and materials I use to make them. Yesterday I created a better system for the paint.

I use Genesis heat set paints for the dolls - love that stuff! If you haven't heard about it before, it's basically a paint that needs heat to cure/dry. This means that you have as much time as you want to add, remove and blend the paint in the layer you're working on, and once you're ready, you can use a heat gun or an oven to set the paint.

Now, I have a decent selection of colors and you really don't need this many. These paints are not super cheap, however, they do go a very long way. When I bought mine I found a seller that had little 2ml pots available - perfect for miniatures as you really don't need much paint at a time and it'll allow you to either stay on a budget, getting just a few colors for a good price - or try out a bunch of colors for the same price it would've cost you to get fewer of the larger pots/jars. Unfortunately, that website no longer sells the heat set paint, but if you make a search on Google, you should be able to find other sellers (I've seen multiple sites selling 3ml pots, and 5ml is a popular size as well)

Up until now I've just had them in the pots and then had my little 'mixing palette' on the side, but I got tired of continiously having to get them out and open up individual pots, whenever I needed just a tiny amount of a couple of the colors (first worls problem, I know), so I decided to create a palette instead *excitement*

It's just a simple plastic box, I've used 'glue dots' to add some empty watercolor pans to the 'container portion' of the box, and stuck my palette to the lidt, then added a small amount of paint to each pan for easy access. Nothing fancy, but I like this system so much better.

As far as I know, the paints don't react well with all types of plastic (glass is recommended) but I added paint to one of the watercolor pans a short while ago as a test and haven't had any reaction happening. My mixing palette is (as far as I'm aware) a piece of white acrylic, which I've been using for these paints since I first got them, leaving paint on the palette for weeks, if not months, at a time - other than a couple of faint stains from the blue and green shades, it cleans up as if it was brand new.

Also finished up a doll inspired by Maggie Smith in the role of Violet Crawley from Downton Abbey - I adore Maggie, and I love her sass in that series!